Welcome to All in One Bonsa

Bitten by the Bug


Welcome to All in One Bonsai...a blog that aims to remind me of what I have forgotten. Over the years I have been finding out as much as I can about the art of bonsai. I hope the information in this blog will shed some light to the beginning bonsai enthusiast out there.


I saw some bonsai trees at a corner market one night in Taipei and asked the guy if he was willing to teach me how to create these miniature trees. He directed me to a night school where all the instruction was in Chinese. My Chinese ability is very ordinary at the least so although I was learning bits and pieces, I really wasn't getting all I wanted from the course. The best parts were when the teacher would start pruning a beautiful tree or when he showed us how to repot a bonsai. The mystery was still out there but my interest wasn't waning, if anything it fueled my motivation to find out more. And so I did.


Let the adventure begin...


Recently I have discovered the joy of pottery. Bonsai and pottery are close friends so it was only a matter of time before I was introduced to her. Welcome to All in One Bonsai...and pottery.


Feel free to visit my site where you can purchase some of my handmade pottery. Quite a few pieces have been wood fired as it is the prefered method here in Taiwan:


Esty Shop: AllinoneCeramics




Tuesday 30 June 2015


Taiwan Garden Juniper

Hello all.  Firstly, you may have noticed that there have been very few posts lately.  I apologize for that, however, Annie and I had a baby boy last month so things have been busy.  He is a healthy boy and sleeping at the moment so I have time for a short post.

Below is a picture of a local Taiwanese garden juniper that in early spring of 2015 I dug out of the ground.  It had been growing in the ground for about 2 years. I repotted it in some free draining soil and left it to recover on my rooftop.

This is an example of how small it was 2 and a half years ago.
In early spring of 2015 Jack and I dug some of these trees out of the ground.
I let the tree recover for 6 months, getting plenty of sunlight - over the spring and into the summer.  This is the same tree in June 29th 2015.  The foliage has grown tighter and it looks healthy.  I fertilized this tree every 3 or 4 weeks with an organic fertilizer.

I decided to begin creating a bonsai tree out of this stock.  I jinned the top section and gave the illusion of age by shariing the lower third of the tree (peeling bark off the tree).


I then wired all the branches and attempted to place them in a way that would evoke a feeling of  balance and also being old.  

I will now let the tree sit and grow for a while before I repot it in a nice plain pot in the spring of 2016.  

Time for a baby bath!  Man, how life changes.  

Take care out there.



1 comment:

  1. I'm really pleased for you that those cuttings survived and thrived! I know you were a bit hesitant about their chances, so that's good news. Let's hope those other "transplants" up there survived as well as this one did! Congratulations to you and Annie on the birth of your bouncing baby.

    ReplyDelete