Welcome to All in One Bonsa

Bitten by the Bug


Welcome to All in One Bonsai...a blog that aims to remind me of what I have forgotten. Over the years I have been finding out as much as I can about the art of bonsai. I hope the information in this blog will shed some light to the beginning bonsai enthusiast out there.


I saw some bonsai trees at a corner market one night in Taipei and asked the guy if he was willing to teach me how to create these miniature trees. He directed me to a night school where all the instruction was in Chinese. My Chinese ability is very ordinary at the least so although I was learning bits and pieces, I really wasn't getting all I wanted from the course. The best parts were when the teacher would start pruning a beautiful tree or when he showed us how to repot a bonsai. The mystery was still out there but my interest wasn't waning, if anything it fueled my motivation to find out more. And so I did.


Let the adventure begin...


Recently I have discovered the joy of pottery. Bonsai and pottery are close friends so it was only a matter of time before I was introduced to her. Welcome to All in One Bonsai...and pottery.


Feel free to visit my site where you can purchase some of my handmade pottery. Quite a few pieces have been wood fired as it is the prefered method here in Taiwan:


Esty Shop: AllinoneCeramics




Tuesday 31 March 2015

Sun's Kiss

Turning Up the Heat

It's Spring time in Taiwan at the moment.  It just hit April 1st and the weather is starting to find its feet.  However, it's not as hot as the mountain wood fired kiln in Maoli, Taiwan.  Maoli is an area of beautiful mountains and humble people.  The kiln in Maoli is a favorite of many and always produces good results.  This particulr kiln rises its heat to 1,600 degrees celsius.  The high temperature throughly cooks anything in its path.  Below are some of my pots that came out of this kiln.

It was a mixture of cinnamon on yogurt and flahes of pink, sometimes orange.  The locals call this Sun's Kiss.

I have been adding a finger swirl at the base of my pots.  A lot of people do this - I like it so I copy them!


My second tea bowl that has a splash more orange.

I have been experimenting on carving a foot to create a more natural look.  I'm not sure if it works or not.

Fill me up!

The clay I used was China White #26. I do like the Japanese style of pottery and I try and make some things that are in that ball park - some may say not even the same sport Mister.

A small bowl/vase that is 9 cm in height.

Whitey on the other side.

Parts of these pots almost look like a traditional shino glaze.  No glaze was added to any of these pieces.

A closer look at the inside.

I trimmed the foot of this one.

Another tea bowl - again trying to go for that old wabi sabi look.

I think this one was my favorite.


The humble bowl - 14 cm in diameter.

I left some tool marks to say I woz ere.

This little guy is only 7 cm in height.

Flip flop.

And to finish with...some brown clay used in the same kiln.  A competely different look. 

I thought the melted wood ash looked interesting on this tea bowl - 7 cm in height.






I did have some other pieces but a few cracked and others were warped by the extreme heat.  I think the next time I use this kiln I will make everything a little thicker so they stand up, fight back and not buckle.

Take care out there!

1 comment:

  1. They turned out well! I particularly like the "Sun's Kiss" look and the finger swirl adds a little bit of character....

    ReplyDelete