Welcome to All in One Bonsa

Bitten by the Bug


Welcome to All in One Bonsai...a blog that aims to remind me of what I have forgotten. Over the years I have been finding out as much as I can about the art of bonsai. I hope the information in this blog will shed some light to the beginning bonsai enthusiast out there.


I saw some bonsai trees at a corner market one night in Taipei and asked the guy if he was willing to teach me how to create these miniature trees. He directed me to a night school where all the instruction was in Chinese. My Chinese ability is very ordinary at the least so although I was learning bits and pieces, I really wasn't getting all I wanted from the course. The best parts were when the teacher would start pruning a beautiful tree or when he showed us how to repot a bonsai. The mystery was still out there but my interest wasn't waning, if anything it fueled my motivation to find out more. And so I did.


Let the adventure begin...


Recently I have discovered the joy of pottery. Bonsai and pottery are close friends so it was only a matter of time before I was introduced to her. Welcome to All in One Bonsai...and pottery.


Feel free to visit my site where you can purchase some of my handmade pottery. Quite a few pieces have been wood fired as it is the prefered method here in Taiwan:


Esty Shop: AllinoneCeramics




Friday 4 January 2013

Tree Choice

Tree Choice

As I was learning more about bonsai I was becoming increasingly more curious about what trees could be trained to look like bonsai.  Could any tree look like a bonsai?  Are bonsai trees of a particular species that are limited in growth size?
After a lot of head scratching, I learnt that a bonsai tree is just a normal tree.  Sorry to ruin the mystique.
The only differences between a pine tree growing on a mountain side and an identical pine growing in a bonsai pot are...conditions and environmental factors.
A pine growing in the mountains will be weather beaten but allowed to grow as large as possible.  However, the soil may be of poor quality or limited in quantity.  Nonetheless, the tree finds a way to survive.

The pine growing in a bonsai pot has its roots pruned to fit in the pot, fertilizer is periodically added, branches trimmed by scissors, and soil watered adequately.  These factors result in the pine growing healthy but restricted in size.

Before talking more about which species of tree are suited for bonsai training I have to say that a bonsai is much more than a tree in a pot.  For a bonsai to be called a bonsai the tree in the pot must evoke an emotion in the viewer.  I know this sounds a little strange and very subjective.  The tree must be pruned, wired, styled, be placed in a complimentary pot, and given plenty of sunshine for it to be considered a work of art. 

Ok, getting a little off track here.  Refocus.

The best trees to use for bonsai are those that give the illusion that they are large and old.  Trees that have naturally small leaves are important.  Having a tree placed in a pot that has huge leaves will just not look right.  The perspective will be off balance. 
The other important aspect of a good bonsai tree is that the particular species will be able to handle prunning and root cutting. 

Some classic trees that are suitable for bonsai.  We will keep our list short and build it as we go.

Deciduous

1.  Trident Maple Acer buergerianum
A nice large Trident Maple grown on a rock.  Once the leaves
come off, some shoots are cut, and a little
wire applied, the tree will come out in all its glory


2.  Chinese Elm - Ulmus parvifolia  semi deciduous

A small Chinese Elm that I am growing in a tiny pot

Conifers

 1. Chinese Juniper  Juniperus chinensis

A Chinese Juniper I saw at a recent bonsai show here in Taipei. Not too sure about the massive monk statue - just the house would have been my preference.
                         
2. Black Pine  Pinus thunbergii
A nice sized black pine that I attempted to wire 

A small Black Pine also from the bonsai show in Taipei

A bonsai friend told me that if you were to become proficient with the TRIDENT MAPLE, the CHINESE JUNIPER, and BLACK PINE you will be able to understand and develop any other tree in bonsai form.   Find out as much as possible from these three trees and you will be doing yourself a favor.








No comments:

Post a Comment