Welcome to All in One Bonsa

Bitten by the Bug


Welcome to All in One Bonsai...a blog that aims to remind me of what I have forgotten. Over the years I have been finding out as much as I can about the art of bonsai. I hope the information in this blog will shed some light to the beginning bonsai enthusiast out there.


I saw some bonsai trees at a corner market one night in Taipei and asked the guy if he was willing to teach me how to create these miniature trees. He directed me to a night school where all the instruction was in Chinese. My Chinese ability is very ordinary at the least so although I was learning bits and pieces, I really wasn't getting all I wanted from the course. The best parts were when the teacher would start pruning a beautiful tree or when he showed us how to repot a bonsai. The mystery was still out there but my interest wasn't waning, if anything it fueled my motivation to find out more. And so I did.


Let the adventure begin...


Recently I have discovered the joy of pottery. Bonsai and pottery are close friends so it was only a matter of time before I was introduced to her. Welcome to All in One Bonsai...and pottery.


Feel free to visit my site where you can purchase some of my handmade pottery. Quite a few pieces have been wood fired as it is the prefered method here in Taiwan:


Esty Shop: AllinoneCeramics




Thursday 3 January 2013

Bonsai in Japan

Bonsai in Japan

I was lucky enough to have had the chance to study at a beautiful bonsai nursery in Japan.  Once in summer, then winter, and also in spring.  I live close to Japan, which I must say is still the bonsai capital of the world, so after a short 2 hour flight I'm surrounded by beautiful and very old bonsai.  It is a nice get away for me.  The most important aspect is that I always come back to Taiwan with a notebook full of excellent information.

 The three visits were for the duration of 8 days (total 24 days), beginning work and study at 8:30 a.m and finishing at around 6:30 p.m - with a nice lunch and dinner in between. 

I was treated well at the nursery and given some fantastic information.  Information and experience are two keys you must acquire if you are to improve your skill working with bonsai.  I feel like I need to build on both of these aspects!  However, the more you put into bonsai the more you get out of it.

  I plan to talk more about what I have learned at the nursery in up and coming posts.

Summer at the Nursery





Winter at the Nursery





Spring at the Nursery





Gaining more experience with some larger trees has given me confidence when working with my own bonsai in Taipei.  The trees in the above pictures are extremely old and very expensive.  Under the watchful eye of an experienced bonsai apprentice and a bonsai master I was fortunate to be working with some of them.




No comments:

Post a Comment