Welcome to All in One Bonsa

Bitten by the Bug


Welcome to All in One Bonsai...a blog that aims to remind me of what I have forgotten. Over the years I have been finding out as much as I can about the art of bonsai. I hope the information in this blog will shed some light to the beginning bonsai enthusiast out there.


I saw some bonsai trees at a corner market one night in Taipei and asked the guy if he was willing to teach me how to create these miniature trees. He directed me to a night school where all the instruction was in Chinese. My Chinese ability is very ordinary at the least so although I was learning bits and pieces, I really wasn't getting all I wanted from the course. The best parts were when the teacher would start pruning a beautiful tree or when he showed us how to repot a bonsai. The mystery was still out there but my interest wasn't waning, if anything it fueled my motivation to find out more. And so I did.


Let the adventure begin...


Recently I have discovered the joy of pottery. Bonsai and pottery are close friends so it was only a matter of time before I was introduced to her. Welcome to All in One Bonsai...and pottery.


Feel free to visit my site where you can purchase some of my handmade pottery. Quite a few pieces have been wood fired as it is the prefered method here in Taiwan:


Esty Shop: AllinoneCeramics




Sunday 6 April 2014

Repotting a Juniper

A Lazy Sunday Afternoon

After waking up late and then eating eggs and pancakes for breakfast, I decided to repot a juniper that I bought over a year ago.  This juniper has been growing in a clay soil which I know is not the best soil mix for this tree to thrive in.  A clay soil will be cloggy and restrict the healthy growth of roots which in turn effects the growth of the branches and foliage.  

It was time to improve this bonsai by attempting to reshape and repot.  
The tree was grown from a cutting and given some bends and turns.  The wire was left on far too long.

I took the wire off about 6 months ago.  As the tree grows in the future, these marks will diminish.

I use thick wire to add a few more dramatic turns in the base.  I also wire the secondary branches.

I thought the tree was too tall for the size of the trunk so I reduced its height and added a jin.  Dead wood is a feature of junipers.

The clay soil is very compact.

I will remove around two thirds of this soil.  Junipers do not like all their soil being removed.  

I have prepared some new free draining soil.  My soil has very few organic materials.  Organic material will eventually break down and restrict the growth of the roots.

This is a picture of how I pushed up the thick wire when I began wiring the trunk of this tree.  I will push this wire through a drainage hole in its new pot when I eventually secure the tree.

I leave these roots and this much of the original soil.

I prepared the pot with mesh and wire.  Do this right at the start.

Adding the new soil mix.  I make a mound on the left hand side where I want to repot my juniper.  I want it raised slightly higher.  It makes the tree look stronger and more dominant.  

It kind of looked a little off balance, falling away to the right so I found a rock and placed it to the right of the tree.  This re balances the tree and adds a natural feature.

Lastly, I give the tree a healthy watering and place it back on a bench outside.  I also cut up some sphagnum moss which will give the surface roots some moisture.

I hope you are also having a lazy Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. great improvement....doesn't look like the same plant!

    ReplyDelete