Welcome to All in One Bonsa

Bitten by the Bug


Welcome to All in One Bonsai...a blog that aims to remind me of what I have forgotten. Over the years I have been finding out as much as I can about the art of bonsai. I hope the information in this blog will shed some light to the beginning bonsai enthusiast out there.


I saw some bonsai trees at a corner market one night in Taipei and asked the guy if he was willing to teach me how to create these miniature trees. He directed me to a night school where all the instruction was in Chinese. My Chinese ability is very ordinary at the least so although I was learning bits and pieces, I really wasn't getting all I wanted from the course. The best parts were when the teacher would start pruning a beautiful tree or when he showed us how to repot a bonsai. The mystery was still out there but my interest wasn't waning, if anything it fueled my motivation to find out more. And so I did.


Let the adventure begin...


Recently I have discovered the joy of pottery. Bonsai and pottery are close friends so it was only a matter of time before I was introduced to her. Welcome to All in One Bonsai...and pottery.


Feel free to visit my site where you can purchase some of my handmade pottery. Quite a few pieces have been wood fired as it is the prefered method here in Taiwan:


Esty Shop: AllinoneCeramics




Wednesday 12 June 2013

Summer in Yamingshan



It is June 13th 2013 here in Taiwan and officially SUMMER.  Yesterday was around 33 degrees Celsius so it was a good time to straddle the motor bike and venture up the mountain of Yamingshan to once again check on our bonsai stock.
To be honest only 2 weeks ago we made a quick dash to our small plot of land to see how the juniper trees were fairing.  Because it had been raining quite a lot lately and the sun is definitely OUT, we saw many weeds that were taking over.  As I was frowning thinking about the job ahead an old lady who lives in this area walked past and offered her services.  She said to us that if we paid her some money she would gladly rip all these roots out for the next two months.  My initial thought was, "Is she joking?"  She wasn't.

I said YES.  Do I feel guilty?  I do.  Will I get over it pretty quickly?  Yes, I will.

Grow boys grow!
Anyway, Annie and I thought we would have a look yesterday since it was a public holiday.  We found that all the weeds had been pulled and that the trees were doing well.

The top section looks nice and healthy.
We have been experimenting a little.  We placed down some non woven protective material which was meant to stop the weeds from growing.  However, we put too many holes in the material so the weeds had an escape route.  We didn't cover the other section.  We wanted to see which side grew the quickest.  At the moment it is too early to tell.
And here she is.  We make a great team.


After chatting to her for a while she began telling us some interesting history of this place.  Her grandfather bought this land many years ago and it was here where the family lived their life.  It is a beautiful place.  Good choice I would say.


                    This is her family's house.  Below is where our small plot of land is located.
                                           A very comfortable place to rest your bones.

                                           
A Taiwanese historian put together a small book highlighting the families history and the importance of the area.  This is a picture of our weed pulling saviour's grandfather.

Another interesting photo.  The small girl standing in the front row is the woman helping us today.  This photo was taken in 1960.  
                     
                         Her father is still alive today, seen here watering his trees at age 94.
                      Today the family rent out their land to anyone wanting to grow trees.
Some small pine trees being given the chance to grow.
                   
Way down there you will be able to find our 60 small juniper trees doing their best to develop into bonsai trees.
Some juniper trees being groomed for either home gardens or town parks.
  
Some bright green Cryptomeria japonica growing nice and tall.
                     
                                             Pine trees going through their paces.
  
Taking shape.
   
                                                             Very good potential.
    
To end a great afternoon I was even given a beer.  Taiwan is an amazing place.

No comments:

Post a Comment