Welcome to All in One Bonsa

Bitten by the Bug


Welcome to All in One Bonsai...a blog that aims to remind me of what I have forgotten. Over the years I have been finding out as much as I can about the art of bonsai. I hope the information in this blog will shed some light to the beginning bonsai enthusiast out there.


I saw some bonsai trees at a corner market one night in Taipei and asked the guy if he was willing to teach me how to create these miniature trees. He directed me to a night school where all the instruction was in Chinese. My Chinese ability is very ordinary at the least so although I was learning bits and pieces, I really wasn't getting all I wanted from the course. The best parts were when the teacher would start pruning a beautiful tree or when he showed us how to repot a bonsai. The mystery was still out there but my interest wasn't waning, if anything it fueled my motivation to find out more. And so I did.


Let the adventure begin...


Recently I have discovered the joy of pottery. Bonsai and pottery are close friends so it was only a matter of time before I was introduced to her. Welcome to All in One Bonsai...and pottery.


Feel free to visit my site where you can purchase some of my handmade pottery. Quite a few pieces have been wood fired as it is the prefered method here in Taiwan:


Esty Shop: AllinoneCeramics




Tuesday 27 November 2012

Beginnings

Beginnings 

                                     Chinese Elm - My first forest planting
I have to say that I do love the figurines on my bonsai.  It isn't
everyone's favourite as some think it takes away from the imagination but I like how it adds to the illusion of a bigger tree.


As I was watching my elm forest grow for about 2 years I noticed that not a lot was happening.  During the growing seasons of Spring, Summer and Autumn, new shoots would grow long so I cut these in the hope of ramifying the branches more.  I was making some progress but I wanted to speed up the process.  I decided to uproot my small forest and without cutting the roots, place them in a bigger pot.  By doing this the roots have more room to grow and as a result the trunks and branches will thicken up.  




This is the pot I used.  The end result is that the trunk and branches thickened a little and a lot more leaves grew.  Although to be honest I was hoping for more growth.  I think the main reason for this is that on my balcony I do not receive a great deal of sunlight which is vital.  I am in the process of moving to another place because of this reason.  The things we do for bonsai!



Same pot as before but a new arrangement 3 years later.  The small elm on the far right was added because one of the smaller trees died a few months ago.  

Playing around with a group planting.  Two trees that I have had for some years.  The tree on the left is my first bonsai tree that I bought.  I love it and it is as tough as nails and produces nice small red flowers.  The tree on the right was bought at a market.  A fukien tea tree.  Both these trees were growing in separate, smaller pots.  I want to grow them together in a larger pot.  I think they would look better if planted in a slightly thinner pot.  


I plan on uploading more of my own bonsai.  Coming soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment