Welcome to All in One Bonsa

Bitten by the Bug


Welcome to All in One Bonsai...a blog that aims to remind me of what I have forgotten. Over the years I have been finding out as much as I can about the art of bonsai. I hope the information in this blog will shed some light to the beginning bonsai enthusiast out there.


I saw some bonsai trees at a corner market one night in Taipei and asked the guy if he was willing to teach me how to create these miniature trees. He directed me to a night school where all the instruction was in Chinese. My Chinese ability is very ordinary at the least so although I was learning bits and pieces, I really wasn't getting all I wanted from the course. The best parts were when the teacher would start pruning a beautiful tree or when he showed us how to repot a bonsai. The mystery was still out there but my interest wasn't waning, if anything it fueled my motivation to find out more. And so I did.


Let the adventure begin...


Recently I have discovered the joy of pottery. Bonsai and pottery are close friends so it was only a matter of time before I was introduced to her. Welcome to All in One Bonsai...and pottery.


Feel free to visit my site where you can purchase some of my handmade pottery. Quite a few pieces have been wood fired as it is the prefered method here in Taiwan:


Esty Shop: AllinoneCeramics




Monday 10 June 2013

Pottery

Pottery

Through my love of bonsai my girlfriend and I have discovered the joy of pottery.  If you enjoy bonsai it will only be a matter of time before your appreciation of a beautiful pot takes over.  As you buy more trees you need to give them a comfortable home so you begin looking more closely at pots.  You notice that different shapes suit different styles of trees.  You begin to understand that bonsai not only involves the tree but also the pot.  BON - pot SAI - plant.  

A bonsai pot must not dominate the tree but serve to compliment.  Generally speaking, conifers should be placed in a plain non glazed pot.  They just look better in them.  If you have a tree that has colourful flowers or is of a deciduous variety then a touch of colour in the pot is preferred.

Over the past few months I have been trying to make my own bonsai pots.

My first attempt at a bonsai pot.

Two drainage holes.


It is important to get the name out there.


A pot designed and created by Annie Lin - co founder of All in One Bonsai.
However, after you have dug your fingers into clay, your mind reels at the possibility of making other stuff. After visiting Japan and looking through many Japanese bonsai magazines I have gravitated towards the Japanese style.  Simple and elegant.  

I then decided to make some tea cups.  

                              This is one that I like.  We put this cup into a wood fired kiln.


Another view from the other side.  I started with a ball of clay and slowly pinched until a cup formed.


This tea cup was fired in an electric kiln.  Different result.  Notice the winter bonsai tree I tried to make.


This one started off as a tea cup but took on a different shape.  In the end I went with it.  It can be used as something else or as a display on a shelf?  Again, wood fired for 4 days!


A mini bowl.


We have found a great pottery teacher who taught us how to make this unusual tea pot.  It ended up taking 12 hours to make!  Everything you see is made from 100% clay.  Even the 'nails'.  

From this point I thought...fruit bowl!

This bowl was fired in a gas kiln.  I thought the glaze was great.
Some fruit adds colour.  Taiwan lychees are very tasty!

So making pottery over the past few months has been a lot of fun.  In the meantime I have moved into another apartment in Taipei that has a rooftop.  It is on this rooftop that I hope to build a place to house my growing number of bonsai trees.

I plan on uploading more of mine and Annie's pottery soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment