Welcome to All in One Bonsa

Bitten by the Bug


Welcome to All in One Bonsai...a blog that aims to remind me of what I have forgotten. Over the years I have been finding out as much as I can about the art of bonsai. I hope the information in this blog will shed some light to the beginning bonsai enthusiast out there.


I saw some bonsai trees at a corner market one night in Taipei and asked the guy if he was willing to teach me how to create these miniature trees. He directed me to a night school where all the instruction was in Chinese. My Chinese ability is very ordinary at the least so although I was learning bits and pieces, I really wasn't getting all I wanted from the course. The best parts were when the teacher would start pruning a beautiful tree or when he showed us how to repot a bonsai. The mystery was still out there but my interest wasn't waning, if anything it fueled my motivation to find out more. And so I did.


Let the adventure begin...


Recently I have discovered the joy of pottery. Bonsai and pottery are close friends so it was only a matter of time before I was introduced to her. Welcome to All in One Bonsai...and pottery.


Feel free to visit my site where you can purchase some of my handmade pottery. Quite a few pieces have been wood fired as it is the prefered method here in Taiwan:


Esty Shop: AllinoneCeramics




Tuesday 27 November 2012

Outdoor Classroom

Outdoor Classroom

I believe Taipei to be the gem of Asia.  It hasn't the best of anything but an accumulation of seconds and thirds that make Taipei, Taiwan a magical place to live.

One such place is the local Flower Market found in the city.  It was here that I went about asking every friendly face that I saw about who was willing to teach me more about bonsai.  With some trial and error I met a man named Jack Lin.  Jack had some experience of living in Australia so he was very welcoming and generous with his time.  Over the next year I spent most of my weekends at his outdoor bonsai shop learning all I could.  Jack is a self confessed 'instant bonsai' man.  He knows a great deal about bonsai but his main purpose is buying young trees and then going about twisting and shaping them there and then, increasing the value substantially.  10 minutes later they are put into a nice pot, passed to his wife who then places them on the selling rack.  Jack has an amazing ability to turn a 3 year old tree into something that looks ten times that age in a handful of minutes.

Jack has taught me a lot about bonsai and for that I will be eternally grateful.  This man loves bonsai more than life itself.  I asked him one day if he ever got tired of wiring or shaping a tree.  In 45 years he honestly told me that every time he picked up a tree he felt happier.  Amazing stuff.

Jack Lin and a guy that doesn't want to spread his flu germs.
I have enjoyed many hours sitting at this table.

No comments:

Post a Comment