Welcome to All in One Bonsa

Bitten by the Bug


Welcome to All in One Bonsai...a blog that aims to remind me of what I have forgotten. Over the years I have been finding out as much as I can about the art of bonsai. I hope the information in this blog will shed some light to the beginning bonsai enthusiast out there.


I saw some bonsai trees at a corner market one night in Taipei and asked the guy if he was willing to teach me how to create these miniature trees. He directed me to a night school where all the instruction was in Chinese. My Chinese ability is very ordinary at the least so although I was learning bits and pieces, I really wasn't getting all I wanted from the course. The best parts were when the teacher would start pruning a beautiful tree or when he showed us how to repot a bonsai. The mystery was still out there but my interest wasn't waning, if anything it fueled my motivation to find out more. And so I did.


Let the adventure begin...


Recently I have discovered the joy of pottery. Bonsai and pottery are close friends so it was only a matter of time before I was introduced to her. Welcome to All in One Bonsai...and pottery.


Feel free to visit my site where you can purchase some of my handmade pottery. Quite a few pieces have been wood fired as it is the prefered method here in Taiwan:


Esty Shop: AllinoneCeramics




Wednesday 28 November 2012

Passion

Passion

When I was younger, football was my passion.  I loved training and having fun with my football mates.  When that all ended, I was a little lost.  No more training nights, no more Saturday football, and after moving to Taiwan, no big circle of friends to enjoy my life with.  I needed to adapt.  I took a long time to do that and I believe finding bonsai has given me more purpose, a passion that occupies a lot of my thoughts.

I had always liked hiking and getting out in the Tasmanian forests.  I didn't give it too much thought - the scenery was sensational, as were my friends, and the fresh air was cleansing.  That was enough.  I suppose I have always liked trees.  I remember hugging my fair share in amongst our hikes.  I remember climbing them as a kid with some mates and sitting on their crown, and I remember trying to build a tree house in our backyard - a disaster.

It wasn't until much later in life that I found a way to enjoy trees in small pots - those that are sitting on my balcony now.  I still think I stumbled upon bonsai and I am grateful that I did.  Living in Taiwan was definitely a huge part of why I have taken up this rewarding hobby.  I probably would have never even thought about bonsai if I wasn't living and working in Taiwan.

Anyway, I believe finding a passion is very important.  I don't know if you can go searching for one as much as it finds you.  It either happens or it doesn't.  I feel lucky that I have found a hobby that hasn't lost its appeal after 3 years.  The more you find out the more interesting it becomes.  Once you have found something that you really like and constantly think about it, it is amazing what things open up.



A beautiful bonsai on a rock slab.  I took this picture at Robert Steven's nursery in Jakarta.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!Not many people can find what they really want to do.I'm not a master!But, I have been seeing that you getting better and better on your work.:) cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie Lin...I'm glad to see you found my blog. Yes, I understand that you are not a master but I do appreciate your kind words.
    Maybe I will ask you to write about your experiences as a potter in some up and coming posts.

    Cheers ol mo

    ReplyDelete